Sunday, July 11, 2010

Last day of the World Cup

Okay so I'll say this first. I am glad to see the back of the World Cup. I have worked everyday for the last 30 days I dont really have a sense of humour, in fact I have become very angry. I cant really explain it I just feel angry inside and I think its part jealousy because I feel like I missed the joy of the World Cup because of a job that I dont really love and I also watched everyone really love it ( the world cup not my job:-)) but I think its mostly that I am tired and I need some time to myself and once all of this is over I will feel a lot better.

But on the flip side I am really sad that its all almost over. I feel really proud of being South African and I am glad I am one of those who always believed the World Cup would be a success. I am irrationally full of hatred for Uruguay, a soccer team full of, in my opinion, bad sports and cheaters, except Forlan,who I wish belonged to another team because his performance in this tournament has been exceptional. I begrudgingly say that post their defeat last night against Germany.

The thing about this World Cup is that I finally got it, I finally understood why people and players cry when their teams are knocked out of the tournament. When South Africa was knocked out in the first round, I cried bitterly and was depressed for days because I felt like a bad refereeing decision had destroyed the hopes of a nation. I remember actually screaming with joy when we scored the second goal against France and when the third goal was disallowed due to being offside I stood there with my hand over my mouth in disbelief because for a moment we had beaten the odds. At the end of the France match I felt like our boys had done well but it still ached. Then it was onto the final African team, Ghana! I cried when The evil Suarez hand-balled a sure Ghana winning goal out of the nets, but was glad they got a penalty and then I was crushed when Gyan overshot the penalty and then I was livid when I saw Suarez fist pump the air because Gyan missed. and so it goes for each match that I have felt some level of investment in. The team you support takes you on an emotional roller coaster that nine times out of ten is go to end in disappointment.

I even have a tear in my eye right now remembering all these amazing moments.

When speaking to my boyfriend about how unfair it is when a ref makes a mistake, or players dive and the free kick is given, or when little bastards who cheat celebrate another teams defeat while walking off the field, he has just laughed. He said to me "I've been supporting Newcastle for years I am used to the disappointment" followed by an explanation that sometimes the decision goes in your favour and sometimes it doesn't.

so I leave you with this sentiment, I have hated the World Cup, I have loved the World Cup, I never knew that a game could cause me so much anguish and all's fair in love, war and football.

No comments:

Post a Comment